Friday, May 21, 2010

Christmas In July

Okay, well it's not July yet - but close enough! I feel like when we hear "Christmas In July" - we think of stockings, Santa & snow. But my experience is more spiritual I think. I had an itch to listen to Christmas music yesterday, and promptly heard one of my favorites: "Here With Us." There's something about the way the Christmas season speaks to me that sets it apart from all other times of the liturgical year. It's like it is a spiritual "show-time" where God rolls up His sleeves and says "This is happening." This song in particular illuminates the paradox of a baby coming to save humankind. And oh, how paradoxical our God is. A God who is truly here with us though, I have to wonder - where is He today?

The other day I got sucked into the time vacuum that is Facebook. And I began feeling an overwhelming sense of gratitude for the people in my life. I decided that I would make June my own personal "Celebrate The People In Your Life" month. I feel like that was a moment of grace for me, where I was granted the eyes of God. And since then, I've had some of the most powerful feelings of gratitude for every single beautiful person in my life. One example is Patrice Bruno. A woman who suffers daily from MS, yet spends every single day up at the church here. She's taken it upon herself to start a "Vocations Committee" because she feels called to encourage young men to consider the priesthood. She comes up to the Youth Room to make signs and hang them in our windows for display, and works tirelessly and joyfully to do so. I think to myself: THAT is building the kingdom. Another example is a woman who I had an intimate conversation with yesterday. This woman has suffered and continues to suffer from so many health complications - biological, emotional and even spiritual. And yet she embodies beauty, energy and joy for me. I told her, "It's a comfort just to see you in the halls," and as the words came clumsily spilling out of my mouth, I realized their validity. When people HOUSE the Spirit of Christ in their bodies and hearts, it's a comfort to all those around them.

In this very moment, I am humbled. I feel as though I eat at a table with Kings and Queens of God's kingdom, people who are so noble and steadfast. People with true GRIT and strength, true conviction and heart. I look at who our culture pins as "idols" and "role models" and I think to myself - please GOD don't let Justin Beiber be what defines "making it" in this life. My dear friend Bobby shared with me a verse from First John the other day (1 John 2:15-17) about REALLY getting what it's all about. Seeing the world as transitory, temporary. And truly storing our treasures in heaven where we belong. And when I look around me, I am completely surrounded by royalty. There's no better way to describe it, and I am humbled and blessed.

I believe that this is how Christ is "here with us" today. He's living and breathing in the hearts of Christian's who are truly connected to the Spirit. And it fills me up and ties me over. Here's to celebrating the "divine light" in others - cheers! (And Merry Christmas.) :)

No comments: